Friday, March 5, 2010

reassurance

I am very pro-breastfeeding to say the least. V self weaned, and I won't say at what age, but he nursed longer than most people in the US let their kids. We'll just leave it at that. It often makes me sad that I don't remember his last nursing. I remember the one that I thought was the last one, but I know it was not.

I know that some people say that children will be scarred for life if they nurse past whatever age they deem inappropriate, but I truly feel like I did the best I could do for my kids with nursing them. When V and I had food poisoning when he was 18 months old, the only thing he poor guy could keep down was breastmilk. I was so thankful he was "still nursing".

The other day V, M, and I were playing on the floor, when V all of a sudden got up and said "Baby needs boobies. Now." He proceeded to lift his shirt and nurse his baby.

Now, this might seem odd to most, but to me it was a sweet sweet picture. He is mimicking what he sees and I think it is precious. It melts my heart when he goes up to M when she is crying and puts his hand on her back or belly and pats her saying "it's okay Little Sister. I'm right here. I'm staying right here."

Children pick up on everything. They really are like sponges, and when I see him doing the sweet things he does it reassures me that even though I am not anywhere near perfect, I must be doing something right.






1 comment:

  1. Aww those are sweet pictures! You're such a good mommy and though people may judge you for how long you nursed, they can't even question that you were just trying to do what you think is best for your baby.
    When you said that you don't remember V's last nursing, it made me tear up to even think about poppyseed having a last nursing. At this rate, I'll probably end up nursing as long as you did! ;)

    ReplyDelete